Want Your Non-Citizen Parent To Come Stateside To Help Care For Your Child? Where Should You Begin?


Giving birth to your first child can be a mentally and financially stressful time, especially if you lack much of an in-person support network in the form of family and friends willing to help out. If your parents live overseas, you may consider having one or both travel to the U.S. to stay with you for the first few months of your baby's life, or perhaps even heading over to provide full-time childcare after you return to work. However, recent executive actions on immigration have made the the visa process even more complex, and you may not know where to begin. Read on to learn more about the B-2 visa process, as well as some factors you'll want to consider before pursuing this option in today's political climate. 

What will your parent need to do to be approved for a B-2 visa?

A B-2 visa is a visitor visa designed for those planning to visit the U.S. on a vacation (even a lengthy one) or for other pleasure purposes. The advent of the internet has made it much simpler to apply for these visas; in many cases, your parents will be able to complete the application online. Your parent will also usually need to attend an in-person immigration interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in his or her home country before his or her visa application will be approved.

What should you consider when deciding whether your parent should come to the U.S. on a foreign visa?

Recent executive actions on immigration have left many non-citizen visitors nervous about traveling within the U.S., particularly as a visa can be legally revoked at any time without much in the form of due process. Because of this, you may not want to plan any out-of-country travel with your parent while he or she is in the U.S.; while leaving the U.S. on a visa can be a fairly simple process, returning may be more difficult, and you don't want your parent stranded in a foreign airport without any way to make it back home.

You'll also want to consider timing issues. While the first few months of an infant's life can be stressful, having an extra set of hands around after you return to work and after your child becomes a bit more mobile may provide you with more assistance than you'd need (or be able to use) during the early infant stages. You may also want to consider having one parent visit on a B-2 visa for 6 months, then return to his or her home country while the other parent travels on a separate visa, providing you with round-the-clock assistance without risking any violations of immigration law.

For more information, contact companies like Law Office of Daniel Smith.


26 April 2017

Working Closely With Your Attorney

When my husband filed for divorce a few years ago, I knew that I didn't want to endure a legal battle on my own. I interviewed several different attorneys until I found one that I really liked, and then I really gave my case my all. I had long talks with my lawyer about everything from financial problems to the way that we organized our schedule, and she was able to create a rock-solid case from my statements. This website is all about the importance of communicating effectively with your attorney by making the right decisions. Check out these posts about lawyers so that you are better prepared for your next case.